Friday, June 11, 2010

Term3 - SVL - Short - Character research + development

Someone said that my design looked a bit like the gentlemen's duel characters, so I drew them and slapped them onto the bottom left corner for good measure.



The horse designs will probably ring a bell for most of you. Since I really had no idea how to approach the design for the horse, I looked around and found some interesting characters for inspiration - and direction. I normally don't work this way since your designs end up reflecting someone else's ideas, but I hit a bit of a wall by this point.
- looney tunes horse (from the opera episode with Elmer's lightning helmet)
- sleeping beauty - the prince's horse
- the no-naked horse

Bottom left picture is drawn by Merly doodles (yes, that is an alias)



I originally wanted a highly stylized, but otherwise stereotypical dragon - the top three are renditions of Breath of Fire's amazing designs. I ended up going off in my own direction - much my preference.

I combined animal traits with the dragon concept, and ended up with an anteater-dragon and whale-dragon. The center image ended up looking like the starwars monster in Java's pitt - funny, but completely unintentional.

Layouts for the original story that ended up never getting used.

No comments:

Post a Comment